Thank you for stopping by! I’m glad you found your way here. I love learning random facts about people, so here are 5 things about me:
- I’m a former retail communications leader who left to become an author, freelance writer, and editor;
- I’m a HUGE fan of helping entrepreneurs, especially women, craft their messaging;
- I defend the Oxford comma irrationally;
- I believe stories can change the world if we let them; and
- My favorite thing to do is write. And in between working on my fiction projects, I have a few limited spots for new clients! (I know… that’s more like six things, but I didn’t get an English Lit degree because I loved Math).
Why I write
I had a conversation once with Lee Maynard who, in the brief span of time I was in his life before he passed, impressed a great deal of information on my soul. If you’re not familiar with who Lee is or his body of work, you can literally get his voice in your head by listening to an NPR interview he did regarding his semi-autobiographical work, Crum. Lee was trying to convince me to write. I was trying to convince Lee that I didn’t work that way.
Lee, of course, was right.
Have you read anything I’ve written?
When I’m asked it, I respond with, “Are you a fan of open enrollment benefit plan information?” I do write it. I may have written it for your company, but as for published works, my essay “No Damn Funeral” was selected for Angel Bumps by Anne Bardsley. I also wrote untold numbers of press releases and web pages during my corporate career. If you’ve been a recipient of one of the many “can you rewrite this for me?” emails from one of my friends, you’ve gotten the ghost-writer-me. Most recently, I had two essays published in Found Voices on Medium.com that were a result of work in studying Method Writing with Carolyn Ziel — Pencils and Gratitude. And as a personal challenge in 2023, I posted 28 stories in 28 days on Medium.com (cross-posted to my blog).
You probably haven’t read my work, truth be told, other than what’s right in front of you now. I’m learning the writing business after capping a successful 28-year career in corporate communications and education. I’ve taken classes through Gotham Writers Workshop, The Writers Sanctuary, The Manuscript Academy, Carolyn Ziel, and Susan DeFreitas.